Sunday, March 29, 2009

Ghost of my Father

In reading Hamlet so many different ideas come forth even just from the first two scenes. First, is the ghost of Old King Hamlet really there or is it just madness or false vision? Second, what is to come with the ghost of Old King Hamlet? Why has he risen again to walk the earth is it to warn and help the country or to protect his beloved son? Third, with the knowledge gained what can Hamlet do in the future?

One of the main themes of Hamlet as we learned well doing our pre-work for Hamlet is madness. Is Hamlet truly mad does he really see and speak with his father? This question can change a persons whole perception of the events taking place. Me personally, I believe in ghost or spirits. I believe that our loved ones are around us watching over us and protecting us. Some people believe that I am crazy but I believe that I have seen a ghost of my great-grandfather whom I never met. I saw him in my grandmothers house where she has also said she has seen and felt her fathers spirit. This I feel affects how I feel toward young Hamlet and the situation he is in. I do not believe that he is mad but yet merely being visited my a protecting spirit.

Old King Hamlet is lurking but what has he come to protect his country, his son, or possibly both? I believe that within protecting his son with his otherworld knowledge he will in turn help Young Hamlet to save Denmark, mind you this is without having yet read the play. I have come to this conclusion because I believe that most if not all parents first and most important concern is for their children.

What will this all mean for the Hamlet's future and the future of Denmark we will all just have to continue to read and see where Shakespeare will lead us.

(What is your stance of "Hamlet's condition" do you believe he is really seeing his dead father or do you believe that he is truly mad? Why? Have you ever had what you believe to be an experience or encounter with someone from beyond the grave?)

No comments:

Post a Comment